One of the most disregarded rules of the road is speeding. However, the speed limit is one of the most important laws to follow. The state of New Jersey has many populated roads and highways that can be unsafe if drivers are careless with their speed. When a driver speeds, they can cause dangerous accidents that lead to severe injuries for those involved. It is because of this that if a driver is caught speeding, they can be pulled over by law enforcement and issued a ticket for speeding, careless driving and even reckless driving. If you have been issued a speeding ticket, an experienced attorney may be able to assist you.
New Jersey Point System
Drivers who are convicted of speeding violations also face motor vehicle points on their driver’s licenses. This impacts a driver’s record as well as their insurance premiums. The New Jersey point system is as follows:
- A 2-point violation for going 1-14 miles over the posted speed limit
- A 4-point violation for going 15-30 miles over the posted speed limit
- A 5-point violation for going 30 miles or more over the posted speed limit
What is the Cost of a Speeding Ticket?
A conviction for speeding in the state of New Jersey includes a fine in order to penalize drivers who violate the law. The fine imposed corresponds with the speed they were caught traveling over the limit. This can include the following:
- $85 for speeding 1-9 mph over the limit
- $95 for speeding 10-14 mph over the limit
- $105 for speeding by 15-19 mph over the limit
- $200 for speeding by 20-24 mph over the limit
- $220 for speeding by 25-29 mph over the limit
- $240 for speeding by 30-34 mph over the limit
- $260 for speeding by 35-39 mph over the limit
Fighting a Speeding Ticket
It can be very frustrating to receive a speeding ticket. With consequences such as fines, points, and the potential to have your license suspended, people often want to fight their ticket. It is important to know that this can be done in the state of New Jersey. In order to do so, the first step is contacting an experienced attorney to fight on your behalf by challenging the state’s evidence against you.
Contact our Firm
If you or someone you know received a speeding ticket and wishes to speak with an experienced attorney, contact REM Katcher Law Group P.C. today.