For most people, the Fourth of July is a time of celebration. Of course, one of the main ways we celebrate the Fourth of July is by watching or lighting fireworks. Though setting off fireworks is great fun for all, it is important to be aware of fireworks laws in New Jersey. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorneys to learn more about the fireworks laws in New Jersey and how we can help if have been charged with violating them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What are the laws regarding firework possession/use in New Jersey?
In the state of New Jersey, there are various rules and regulations in place regarding the possession and use of fireworks. Some of those rules are as follows:
- It is illegal to sell fireworks anywhere in New Jersey without a permit.
- It is illegal to use or possess fireworks anywhere in New Jersey without a permit.
- Only those over the age of 16 may purchase, possess, and use sparkling fireworks that are either handheld (such as sparklers) or ground-based (such as snakes).
Any other types of fireworks in New Jersey require a permit to use or possess.
What are the penalties for violating New Jersey’s fireworks laws?
There are various potential penalties you may face for the unlawful use or possession of fireworks in the state of New Jersey. They are as follows:
- If you are caught selling or having the intent to sell any fireworks that require a permit to anyone who does not have a permit, you may face fourth-degree felony charges.
- If you are caught purchasing, using, or possessing any fireworks without a permit, you may be charged with a petty disorderly person’s offense.
If you have any additional questions, or you are currently facing a fourth-degree crime for the intent to sell or distribute fireworks to another person, you should strongly consider speaking with our knowledgeable New Jersey criminal defense attorneys today. Our firm is ready to fight your charges in any way we can.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
If you have recently been charged with a crime, you need knowledgeable legal counsel on your side. Our firm has helped countless individuals navigate the complex legal system for years, and we are ready to provide you with the legal assistance you deserve and need to move on with your life. Contact Rem Katcher Law Group, P.C. today to learn more about how our firm can assist you through this difficult time.